Take the guesswork out of decision-making. Make smarter, confident decisions with Decision SCOPE.
Do you find if difficult to make big decisions? College students today face a wide range of tough decisions in their personal lives, academic classes, and organizations. The choices you make throughout college can have a lasting impact, so it can be pretty intimidating! CAMPUSPEAK has partnered with Dr. Jeff Belkora to offer a workshop tailored to helping students make better personal and organizational decisions surrounding the burning issues on your campus right now. Dr. Belkora is a leader in the emerging science of decision-making, and is personally committed to bringing the science of smart decisions to college campuses for the benefit of students, faculty, and staff.
Don’t leave opportunities up to chance, or sit back and wait for everything to work itself out. There’s a better way. Learn to make smart, reliable decisions with the SCOPED checklist.
SCOPED stands for:
Situation – key facts
Choices – available options
Objectives – goals and priorities
People – roles and responsibilities
Evaluation – impact of each choice on each objective
Decisions – which choice is best, and next steps
You can offer your students the Decision SCOPE workshop as an overall investment in their leadership development, or choose to tailor your Decision SCOPE workshop to focus on any specific topic relevant to your campus. For example, students in recent workshops have used SCOPED to tackle issues ranging from academics (choosing a major, graduate school, jobs/internships) to Fraternity and Sorority Life (recruitment, conduct, governance).
Because Decision SCOPE is an experiential learning workshop, students will use examples from their own life to practice using the SCOPED method on their own decisions, and then in a larger group setting to guide others. Students will leave with a practical, powerful tool to guide them on important decisions throughout their life – in their career, relationships, finances, and other everyday decisions.
As a result of this program, students will learn:
- how to articulate the SCOPED checklist and reflecting critically on their personal and professional decisions,
- how to individually think, talk, and write about personal decisions using the SCOPED method, gaining clarity and confidence about a current problem or opportunity in their lives, and
- how to SCOPE group decisions that they are currently making with their peers, increasing alignment and reducing conflict within their organizations.
What CAS learning and development outcomes does this workshop focus on?
- Intrapersonal development
- Cognitive complexity
- Workshop length can vary between 75 minutes and 3 hours
- Includes a participant workbook and a post assessment
- Gives participants access to the SCOPED app and templates online
- Effective for both small and large audience sizes of up to 300 participants
Who is this ideal for?
- Residence Hall Associations
- Peer Educators
- Fraternity and Sorority Life Organizations
- Students applying to jobs
“The SCOPED process is a huge life-saver! Writing things out is how I process info or make decisions and now this process gives a little more structure on how to actually do it.”
“As unbelievable as it sounds, I am leaving here today with a completely new idea of who I am and who I want to be. This was incredible and by far my favorite presentation ever.”