Explore the impact of hazing culture and challenge your community to break their dangerous traditions.
Building New Leaders Council Surge Crossing The Line Decision SCOPE Elephants & Onions Finding Your Why Leadership Plunge Limitless Leadership Masculinity Project PersonalPower: A RESPONSE ABILITY Workshop Recruitment Boot Camp SALAD The Intake Equation
Hazing is an often misunderstood and overlooked issue that takes root on our campuses and in our organizations, sometimes without us realizing. We say we are teammates, brothers and sisters, friends and even family, but do families intimidate, humiliate or even endanger one another? Crossing the Line is designed to open up dialogue about how a hazing culture begins and festers over time from “light hazing” to a dangerous cancer. We will discuss the short and long-term impact a hazing culture has on us morally, physically, psychologically and legally. Finally, we will develop a plan of action that will include creating prestigious rites of passage that will uphold a strong anti-hazing culture within our organizations.
As a result of this program, students will learn:
- Understand how a culture of hazing takes root within an organization and escalates over time
- Be able to identify and correct the common myths surrounding hazing
- Understand the short and long term implications of hazing including group and individual liability and hidden harms
- Identify effective practices for becoming an active bystander
- Create a plan that includes gaining allies and support for confirming a hazing free environment
- Be able to articulate personal, organizational and community values and how their actions in regard to hazing align with those values
- Community Building
What CAS learning and development outcomes does this workshop focus on?
- Constructing knowledge
- Maintaining health and wellness
- 4-hour interactive workshop
- Includes a participant workbook and post assessment
- Can be tailored to address an individual group or a larger community
Who is this ideal for?
- Athletic Teams/ Club Sports
- Fraternity and Sorority Life Organizations
- Student Organizations